Sunday, January 7, 2007

Love

Yesterday I attended a beautiful wedding. Two of my friends from seminary united their lives forever, and their wedding testified not only of their deep love for each other, but their deep love for God. This afternoon I watched A Walk to Remember on TV and again witnessed a story of deep, powerful love. These two examples of love prompted me to write and reflect in my journal. Here is a portion of what I wrote:

So often I long for the love of a husband, a deep abiding love. A love of someone who knows me so intimately and that stands the test of time. A love that fiercely protects me, humbly serves me, walks through fire for me.

This love that I long for . . . I already have. It is the love of Christ. He knows me more intimately than I know myself. He created the universe and said it would not be complete without me in it. He sees me at my best and at my worst—and loves me through it all. When I am covered in sin and shame, he takes his own blood and wipes away my filth to make me clean. He gave up heaven for me. He gave his life for me. He will never leave me. He will always hold me, carry me, protect me . . . because he delights in me.


I long for love, but I am already experiencing the ultimate love. No other love is perfect. No other love is as strong or intimate. Any love I experience on earth is only a reflection, a shadow of Christ's love for me. The love I already know on earth is precious, strong, and deep. How much greater is God's love for me?


It is a love that knows no bounds. An endless, unfathomable love. A love I will cling to all of my life, and a love I want to return with every fiber of my being.


Even if I never meet "the love of my life," it's okay . . . because I've already met Him and He lives inside me daily. He is enough, and I am complete. Everything else is just an added blessing.

No comments: