Friday, April 6, 2007

This Fragile Life

A phone call. A flight. A funeral.

How quickly life changes.

A conference call from friends. I hear laughter and teasing. Bright, animated voices. I stare out the window with the phone to my ear and watch snowflakes fall to the ground. The house is still. Mom is sleeping. More laughter in my ear. A reminder of the life I paused still playing without me.

Grandma walks in. I smile and hug her. I hear heavy footsteps and see the shape of someone taller step behind her. An automatic smile and greeting for Grandpa come to my lips, then die when my eyes see and my heart remembers that he's no longer here.

It's 2 a.m. I know some friends are up late writing papers. I am up late rubbing Mom's back, trying to ease her pain. She rocks and moans. "Pray, April," she whispers in agony. I place my hands on her and pray. A little while later: "Sing, April. Sing." So I sing.

And I will keep singing.


"[I] wait in hope for the LORD; he is [my] help and [my] shield. In him [my] heart rejoices, for [I] trust in his holy name. May your unfailing love rest upon [me], O LORD, even as [I] put [my] hope in you." - Psalm 33:20-22

No comments: